Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Da back.

So the backend cargo area was the first area I needed to tackle. I removed the gas tank first and when doing so, I noticed that the crossmember that ran between the frame rails in the back was completely rotted out. Armed with my sawzall and cutoff wheel, I began chopping out the entire back half of the cargo area, along with the crossmember. I removed the bumper in the process. The rear valance behind the bumper had a few small pin holes in it, but nothing major. I removed the tailgate and the rear lights, cutting all the wiring. I didn't want to take a chance that anything worked or more than likely didn't work. Searching around online I realized that finding anyone who carried the cargo area patch panel was not only rare, but extremely expensive - upwards of 500.00! I decided to fab my own by using diamond plate (steel). I mocked up the layout using matte board used to frame pictures. It's thin, easier to cut than regular cardboard, and bends easier. I then purchased a whole sheet of diamond plate and sent the layout (along with several other ones I'll explain later to my sheet metal guy.



In these two pics you can see the new floor, along with the fuel neck robbed from a Ford van, cut up and made to work. You'll also notice the brackets made to support the YJ Wrangler rollbar to the backside of the fender. The tailgate was completely shot, so I took it down to the sandblasters and well, made it worse. I ended up cutting the bottom off the gate and welding half a piece of wire conduit pipe to make the bottom 180 degree edge of the tailgate. The backside was shot too, so I cut out the rust, and covered it with another piece of diamondplate. I had the plate bend me a new "U" shaped crossmember for the back, as I cut out and welded that in at the same time. I had all the plate fabbed up at the same time. Better to have all your sheets and measurments ready to go, and let them mess with it. After this work was done, I was ready to move onto the sides of the jeep.

No comments:

Post a Comment